Dad Needs to Keep Quiet on the Car Ride Home from Tournaments

QUESTION:

“My neighbor’s kid plays on the same team as my 9-year-old son. They’re good friends and we carpool together a lot. We’ve known the family a long time and they’re really nice people. The dad is pretty intense on the ball field. And the boy always asks to ride home with us after every tournament to avoid his dad going over every play and what he needs to work on. I don’t mind the kid riding with us, but should I tell the dad that he needs to cool it with the post game analysis? If yes, what would you say to him if you were me?”

Thanks,
Baseball Taxi    *Travel Ball Parents neither endorses nor opposes any of the responses below.

Got a question you’d like to ask other travel ball parents, but want to keep it anonymous? Message Travel Ball Parents on our Facebook page and we’ll get it posted for you.

Calling all 2018 Cooperstown Dreams Park Parents, Coaches and Players

Do You Know….
–Which bat models are allowed for play at Dreams Park?
–Why your player should bring a swimsuit to Dreams Park even if he/she isn’t planning to swim?
–What time you should arrive for check-in? (Hint: it’s earlier than what’s listed on the Dreams Park website.)
–If Dreams Park concession stands accept credit/debit cards?
–What happens at the opening ceremony skills competitions?
–Which uniform elements are provided by Dreams Park and which ones you have to bring?
–If you should bring your ball field chairs from home?
These questions and hundreds more are answered in our new e-book Taking Your Team to Cooperstown: The Ultimate Guide for Your Week at Cooperstown Dreams Park
Make sure you’re properly packed and prepared for the biggest tournament of your kid’s youth baseball career! Get dozens of tips from past attendees, packing lists, daily itineraries, bunkhouse dos and don’ts, uniform laundering hints and much more!
Click the link above or the book cover below to download via Amazon Kindle.

Angela Weight

Founder and publisher of Travel Ball Parents.com, Angela Weight is still a little shocked to be running one of the most popular youth sports parenting sites on the web. Click the ABOUT US tab to read her story.

4 thoughts on “Dad Needs to Keep Quiet on the Car Ride Home from Tournaments

• May 9, 2018 at 6:37 pm

Well for one those coaches from The Little League World Series know they’re on national TV so they are using the most upbeat positive things they can say, that’s not what they say when they’re not on TV, that’s just a fact and if anybody believes that they are in La La Land. Next, the best thing to do as a parent after tournament or game with your player is…..do not talk about the game until the player brings it up and wants to talk about it. Especially if you lost, that’s the last thing they want to talk about.

• July 28, 2016 at 2:37 am

2 questions I ask my 16 yr old (been playing since he was 5) after every game—1. Did you have fun?… In my eyes the most important and 2. How do you think you did? There have been times that in my eyes he had a rotten game, but when I asked him how he thought he did he answered “I did good, I did everything coach Brandon asked me to exactly like he told me to do” Maybe add that into a discussion with the players parents. Sometimes we view the game a totally different way than the coach and the player did. Sometimes a game is a learning experience and the child should be given the chance to learn. Talking to other parents is hard, but if you are really a baseball family they should listen.

• September 16, 2015 at 6:20 pm

As a coach and a dad who has been coaching baseball for 15 years, I can tell you from first hand experience that rearing a kid down does the total opposite of what you are trying to accomplish as a parent.. I have noticed that if travel ball would leave the parents out of it then you would see a much happier player or players. Too many parents are in this realm of their son is going to be drafted to the Yankees at age 9 that THEY want that more than they want their sons or daughters to ENJOY playing a HOBBY !!! That’s what this is and parents forget that!!
    I love coaching but the one thing that I wish ALL parents would just tell their kid after they play is this ” Son I just LOVE watching you Play”
    Try it sometime IT WORKS !!
    Chad Kannon
    High School/ Travel Ball Coach and Parent
    Manchester High School/ Richmond Elite

• September 16, 2015 at 7:12 pm

I agree 100% with you, Chad. Too many parents act like it’s life or death. I know you’re a great coach because your Richmond Elite has put a hurting on our Rattlers a few times.