10 Travel Ball Mom Types We All Know and Love

Check out 10 Travel Ball Dad Stereotypes.

*If any descriptions in this post happen to bear resemblance to anyone we know personally, it’s purely coincidental. I promise.

I’ve been a baseball mom for ten whole years now. Including rec ball, little league, all-stars and travel ball, we’ve been a part of 29 different teams. (That’s just a ballpark figure. lol. Sorry, I can’t resist a good pun.) No matter what state we’re in and what age our kids are, every team has at least one or two of the 10 stereotypes I’ve listed below. Some of them are awesome and essential to the team. Others are….well, they make for good blogging.

1) Mrs. Long Lens – She’s the one with a camera. Not just any camera, though. This one has a zoom lens that’s strong enough to snap a close-up photograph of the right fielder’s index finger in his nose…at a baseball game three counties away. While we’re sitting on our behinds, fanning gnats and critiquing the umpires, she spends her time taking professional quality photos, not just of her own kid, but of all the players. She captures those incredible plays at the plate and the look on your kid’s face when he realizes his hit is headed over the fence. And then this jewel of a woman posts all 533,897 photos on Facebook for parents to download a few hours later.  If there’s a mom like this on your team, be extra nice to her. Bring her chocolate and frozen drinks. She’s definitely a keeper.

2) Howler Mom aka Apache Scream Mom aka “Wish She Had a Mute Button” Mom – Somewhere deep in the mechanics of this woman’s larynx is a built-in microphone with fully charged batteries. To say that’s she’s a tad vocal is the understatement of the season. People from miles away can hear her yelling at her son, your son, the umpires, the coaches, the concession stand workers, the grounds crew and occasionally God. It’s no wonder her husband is usually drunk. Her vocal contributions aren’t limited to words. She chants, screams, hollers and shouts often unintelligibly, depending on the score of the game. Once in a while you catch yourself wondering if her husband wears earplugs during sex. Oh, she also feels the need to coach every kid on the team, barking instructions loud enough to drown out the coach and confuse the poor players.

Click the image above for the cutest, most durable baseball mom bags available.

3) ADD Mom – She shows up on the wrong day for practice or forgets it altogether. She takes her kid to the wrong field, dresses him in the wrong uniform, forgets drinks and snacks, etc and is usually on her phone during announcements. During games, someone has to nudge her away from her deep conversation about TJ Maxx’s shoe department, to point out that her kid is at bat. At first you feel sorry for her because she has so much on her plate and seems so frazzled. But after two years of that crap and realizing that she’s no busier than the rest of us, you just accept her as she is and bring extra drinks and snacks for her son.

4) Mrs. Bag O’ Everything – Your kid forget his uniform belt? She’s got one. Need a soldering iron? Yep, she’s got that too. An extra glass eye? Sure! In fact, the bag this woman carries to the ball field is large enough to double as a carport. She could perform outpatient surgery with the extensive contents of her first aid kit. If she’d been with Jesus in Matthew 14, he wouldn’t have had to multiply the loaves and fishes to feed 5,000 because she’d already be carrying enough for everyone. God bless this mom, although we can’t help but be a tiny bit freaked out by how prepared she ALWAYS is.

5) Mrs. “Damned if you do. Damned if you don’t.”– Yeah, she’s got a problem with it. No matter what it is. If the kids are wearing gray pants, she’ll complain that they should be wearing white. If the tournament’s nearby, she’ll comment that the team needs to travel to face better competition. She’s never satisfied with any idea the coaches and parents have, but refuses to offer alternatives. She usually loves to talk baseball and about the team. She has conspiracy theories galore. If this team mom is making your life miserable, don’t worry. She’ll get mad and move her kid to a new team soon. Poor kid.

6) Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde – We love this mom like 90% of the time. She’s charming, quiet, gentle and down-to-earth. And she’ll do anything in the world to help you out. But no matter how long you’ve known her, you still feel like you don’t quite know her. Every so often, during a game, this mom will shed her sweetness and turn into a stark, raving, overly competitive psychopath, screaming death threats at the poor nine-year-olds on the opposing team. Seven seconds later, Mrs. Hyde is back to Dr. Jekyll again, continuing her bleacher conversation about the Baptist church’s prayer shawl ministry, while the rest of the parents are still stunned by her “episode.”

7) Mrs. Never There – You’re not sure if you’d even recognize her because she’s hardly ever around. And when she does show up, it’s never for an entire game. She doesn’t know any of the other parents and doesn’t care to. A high ranking company VP who is working on her pilot’s license and training for an Iron Girl competition, this life is all about her. Her poor kid’s ballgames fall on the priority list somewhere between pap smears and estate planning.

8) Pinterest Mom – I love this mom because I’m such a failure as a baker and crafter. She designs special team t-shirts for the parents and younger siblings. Bakes cakes for the players’ birthdays and brings them to the ballpark along with special birthday plates and napkins. On any given tournament Saturday, she was probably up til 2 a.m. the night before, making special treats for each team member. You sort of want to dislike her because she makes you feel like a slacker. But then she’s so darn genuinely nice! How could anyone not like her?

9) Madame Control Freak – No one’s really sure who made her Queen, but make no mistake, this woman is in charge! From jersey logos to hotel reservations, it’s her way or the highway. Don’t dare to disagree with her or you. will. regret. it. It’s also a very bad idea to commiserate with another mom about what a bully this woman is. She has a well-paid team of moles. Get on her good side and stay there. And honestly, her ideas usually turn out to be the best anyway, as much as we hate to admit it.

10) Miss America – She’s younger than you, prettier than you, skinnier than you, has bigger boobs than you and cuter clothes than you. You want to hate her, but on top of her beauty, she’s nice and down to earth and funny and self-deprecating…and a great mom. You’d give your left arm to find just one thing wrong with her. But you can’t. Because nothing is.

Did I leave out any team mom stereotypes? Please comment and let me know. I’d love to write a volume two post.

Click the image above for the newest way to find a team for your player or players for your team.

Download the author’s latest humor ebook, Just Kidding, Not Really, perfect reading between tournament games or in the bathroom.

angela-book-cover

Angela Weight

Founder and publisher of Travel Ball Parents.com, Angela Weight is still a little shocked to be running one of the most popular youth sports parenting sites on the web. Click the ABOUT US tab to read her story.

115 thoughts on “10 Travel Ball Mom Types We All Know and Love

• January 7, 2017 at 8:02 pm

Oh my goodness! Reading this took me back in time during my playing days for sure! My mom was definitely “Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde”. She was nice and sweet about 98% of the time but if an umpire triggered her she would go nuts!

• December 5, 2016 at 3:10 pm

I have one….Mystery Illness Mom….she has some kind of dreaded illness that only allows her to show up when she feels up to it. She will make it to some games but is never at practices and can’t ever seem to get out of bed for God Forbid a FUNDRAISER.

• October 20, 2016 at 10:31 am

How about the three mom clique- they are nice enough to everyone else but they really just want everyone to leave them alone so they can have their bff party at the park.

• October 18, 2016 at 3:21 pm

The “I need the best, unobstructed, comfortable, best view seat at the field”. Every game is huge and she doesn’t want to miss anything. She has multiple chairs and umbrellas to make the game the best experience. She sets up a compound for her family. Don’t try to move in on her shade! Don’t stand in front of her and make sure your kids don’t. She will yell at everyone!

• October 18, 2016 at 3:22 am

I love the Mom that comes to every game,reads magizines or on cell phone, and when the people around her clap x cheer, she looks up and goes, what just happened?
    She also has her devoted friends around her, letting her know when her kid is batting, has done something noteworthy, or needs immediate medical attention.

• May 26, 2016 at 4:06 am

Dr J and Mrs H with a splash of Miss America lol… But you certainly left out Miss Gossip Mom… The one who gossips about everyone from the team members, to the patents, to the coaches, she laughs in your face and stabs you in your back .. Even if your a child…Every team has one of those!

• May 4, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Hmm…you’ve truly gotten the chance to see what guardians’ thought processes are. Recalling, when my better half honed a travel group two or three ears back, the guardians treated me like I was more essential than expected. I’ll unquestionably incorporate cocoa nose mother in Volume 2. A debt of gratitude is in order for taking an ideal opportunity to remark. Thanks!
    Robert Hughes recently posted…5 Success Tips for Baseball CatchesMy Profile

• January 15, 2016 at 3:30 am

This was too funny. Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde sounds like me. Thanks for the laugh!

• January 10, 2016 at 6:35 pm

What about the always prepared mom. She got the wipes, the extra batteries for when your hand held fan dies. Etc

• August 16, 2015 at 5:24 pm

How about the mom that brings the “drinks” for all the other moms…disguised as lemonade it makes those long days at the fields go by in minutes. Yum!!

• July 6, 2015 at 8:54 am

Useful information. Lucky me I discovered your website accidentally, and I am surprised why this twist of fate didn’t came about in advance! I bookmarked it.

• Pingback: 10 Travel Ball Mom Types We All Know and Love...

• June 20, 2015 at 11:44 am

Don’t forget about ” Parakeet Mom” everything you say they repeat!! Like ” pretty pitch” down the fence you hear, ” pretty pitch!! Everything that seems to come out of everyone’s mouth she repeats!! Love this story and can so relate to all the mom’s mentioned on here!!

• June 19, 2015 at 9:55 pm

OMG how funny! I am definitely the “Howler Mom” ! Everyone hears me and I know deep down they cant stand being next to me, but oh well, too bad! LOL I even have different shirts with baseball sayings too that I wear!

• June 19, 2015 at 8:32 pm

I am too emotional. Any boy on either team strikes out or misses an easy fly, my eyes begin to well. I have to rein it in as I embarrass my daughter. Obversely, if our team loses, I HATE the other team, their coaches, their parents, their uniform colors. Honestly. I have to take a xanax or stay home. And, yeah, it’s not just a sportsing thing.

• June 19, 2015 at 5:59 pm

The “Hollywood” Mom! Looks like she stepped off the pages of a magazine….big floppy hat, skin tight capris, 4 inch wedges, strapless shirt, long trench coat….in 98 degree weather. And she carries a purse on her forearm the size of a small child. I luckily have proof that such a person exists! Enjoyed the article! I could relate to most, if not all, of the descriptions! Very funny!

• June 19, 2015 at 6:38 am

Love, love, love everyone of these. I find myself in a few but there is one mom missing….the team mom who keeps the book!!! She is good for the score, let’s coach know counts, keeps boys in batting order, and makes sure the other team isn’t pulling a fast one. And in that case, she flips her lid and either starts yelling at BLUE or yelling at coach to yell at someone! Lol ⚾️❤️

• June 19, 2015 at 3:55 pm

You’re exactly right, Michelle. This mom is super valuable. I’ll definitely include her in Vol 2. Thanks for your comment.

• June 18, 2015 at 11:32 pm

the “this is my social time” mom. She just talks and talks about everything except baseball and very loudly!!

• June 18, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Thanks, Lisa, for your comment. That sounds frighteningly like me.

• June 18, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Angela, how about an article on Daddy Ball? Now THAT should make some funny material!

• June 18, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Val, I’ve gotta start working on that one today. Maybe just in time for Father’s Day.

• June 18, 2015 at 6:25 pm

There is the “My Son is Going to Play MLB” mom. You know the type. Every play her kid makes is proof that he is NY Yankees material. And everyone in the stands has to hear the blow-by-blow of his related accomplishments. For example:

Cameron went to the hitting camp, and the head of the camp told us that Cameron has the best swing he’s ever seen. And this guy used to coach the Atlanta Braves!

Or

The Mudville Pikes 13U team called this weekend wanting Jarrod to play on their team. When the coach heard he was only 11, he couldn’t believe it because he said Jarrod is better than most 13 year olds he knows.

Or

Spencer hated playing for the Blue Jays. Nobody could make any plays, so he was constantly having to carry the entire team.

• June 19, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Omgah yes!!! I dislike this mom and her not so great mlb 10 yr old…….smh

• June 18, 2015 at 4:56 pm

How about the “Has too many kids so they take turns and no one ever really gets to watch any games” parents!

The ones that have a large age gap in kids and someone is always crying, flailing, and whining…and the kids sometimes do too! These parents at first try to take the whole family to games and tournaments and spent the whole time in the car watching Frozen for the 9,000th time so now they divide and conquer. One parent may show up to one game, another to the next or will switch off days in a tournament to avoid taking the whole family anywhere!

These parents also never get to know anyone on the team because the very few minutes they get to watch the game they actually want to watch their kid and then they run home as fast as possible afterwards to relieve the other parent.

These people normally have no other close family or friends who are willing to take on their brood so they sometimes rely on the coach or another friend on the team to take their child to out of town games since it’s too hard to take the whole family to stay in a hotel!

It is also noted that these parents normally have no clue where they are playing until days before or what uniform to wear but appreciate the extra texts and emails they get from coaches and parents to be sure they are informed and get to the right place at the right time in the right uniform!

These parents can also be found between games napping in the minivan since it is the most uninterrupted sleep they will get until the next tournament!

• June 18, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Team Grandma – The coach’s mother, who was at all of his games as he grew up, and is now at the grandchild’s games. She’s the prepared mom with her great big purse full of everything anyone could need, occasionally shocks people who don’t know her because she’s sometimes the Apache-scream mom, she’s the encouraging mom (even the coach gets encouragement). She’s also the “fill-in mom/grandmother” – She goes to games that her daughter-in-law might not because she has to be with another team and child. The fill-in mom/grandmother also show’s special attention to the child who had to ride with someone else because both of the parents were needed elsewhere that day. She’s the salt of the earth mom.

• June 18, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Patti, I do love this mom. She becomes every player’s grandma and is so proud of them all. How would I forget her! Thanks for your sweet comment.

• June 18, 2015 at 3:07 am

The “Good Try”, positive Mom. The one that has that huge smile on her face in either wins or losses. Anytime a child strikes out, you always hear, “Good try, you’ll get them next time”, even though the kid never attempted to remove his bat from his shoulder. She will also give a huge, “Great job, Jimmy, you pitched awesome!” even though he walked 6 batters and hit three IN THE FIRST INNING!!

The “Tell it like it is” Mom. Exact opposite of the above mom. (This is ME) If someone tells my son he did great at the plate while watching every strike, I’m gonna correct her. “He did not do great, he stood there watching. In fact, he did nothing at all!” or “He did NOT pitch awesome, that was terrible!”, or, “He BOOTED that ball, that wasn’t a good try”.

Don’t get me wrong, after the game I’ll let my kid know that the game is over and don’t fret over it now, but I won’t encourage his poor attempts. Otherwise they think it’s ok! LOL

• June 18, 2015 at 3:18 pm

What about the “coffee cup” (wink wink) mom who hangs out with other coffee cup, Mcdonalds cup, slurpee cup drinkers! You can only drink so much “coffee, pop, water” when you’re sitting at games for hours on end!! It’s like being at a Tigers game but cheaper!! lol!! This mom also shares her coffee with other’s that forget theirs! After all it’s not fun to drink “coffee” alone!! haha!

• June 18, 2015 at 9:50 pm

That’s brilliant. And so true. We have lots of coffee drinkers (wink) on our teams.

• June 17, 2015 at 10:22 pm

Working mom that manage to work and still can make it to practices, games ect on time. And never miss

• June 17, 2015 at 10:37 pm

This gal is my hero!!! Wish I could make that claim. Thanks for your comment.

• June 17, 2015 at 9:26 pm

freaking LOVE this article! Thanks Angela for the great laugh and TRUTH! I’m definitely one or more of these mom’s! Especially the AKA “Apache scream mom” !!
    Looking forward to more great article, and to the DUDE that said shouldn’t stereotype US BB MOMS we’re proud BB MOMS these are NOT Insults, or life labels theyr honest characters

• June 17, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Love you, Cheryl!!! Thanks for speaking the truth. And I gladly accept my stereotypes and can laugh at them.

• June 17, 2015 at 8:36 pm

To the author of this post

I’m not a mom or a woman just a concerned man. I find it very offensive to judge women and throw them into stereotypes. I especially found the “mom who’s never there” part offensive. What is wrong with someone wanting a career and provide for her family? Had this post been written by a man he would get bashed for judging. It is because of writers like you that women are self conscious about themselves.

• June 18, 2015 at 3:30 am

The “mom who is never there” won’t take the time to read this article anyway, so no need to worry about their feelings!

• June 20, 2015 at 1:14 pm

The PC Police have emerged…Sonicboone, really??? learn to laugh a bit, if someone gets offended about this, it’s gonna be a tough world for them out there.

• June 18, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Oh, for heaven’s sake, get a grip. This article is hilarious. If we can’t laugh at OURSELVES, who CAN we laugh at?

• June 17, 2015 at 8:12 pm

The hot single mom…

When my husband was a young boy he was recruited by a certain coach for the sole purpose of said coach to gain high frequency interaction with his single mom. My husband would have never made the cut for his team otherwise.

It worked. Said coach and his mom have been married for 20 years now. 🙂

• June 17, 2015 at 3:07 pm

I must admit that I have been several of “these moms” lol!!!!! But, I would like to think that I am the “I love my child” mom. The one who doesn’t degrade her child when he obviously messes up and the mom who cheers when he does something great! The mom who doesn’t whisper in the coaches ear to try and get extra playing time for her son. The mom who makes sure that her son feels like someone is in the stands that his number 1 fan no matter what. And finally the mom who will leave some breathing room if he says ” mom, I don’t want to play any more.”

• June 17, 2015 at 2:43 pm

The Nervous Nellie Mom
    Often confused with the Never There Mom, the Nervous Nellie tries to avoid attending games. She has anxiety issues. She is EVERY kid on BOTH teams. When a kid strikes out, misses a play, gets hurt – she feels their pain. She is constantly on edge and tense. It is painful for her. She waives to her son, watches while he is at bat, tries to watch as she can. She loves her son and ties to support him. Otherwise you will find her behind the bleachers because every freaking time you hear “heads up!” the ball is coming at her. She may be on her phone or mini trying to distract herself. Do not hate what you do not understand.

• June 17, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Oh, Kathleen! Bless her heart. I want to give this mom a hug and be there to support her. Poor gal. I wish I did understand, but at least you’ve opened my eyes to it.

• June 17, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Sitting in the shade great-grandmom who can’t even see the game but is there for her baby’s baby’s baby.

• June 17, 2015 at 11:50 am

This is good stuff! Hilarious and true all at the same time!! Nicely done!

• June 17, 2015 at 3:46 am

I use to be an involved mom at the field and got along with everyone. I learned quickly not to be so open. Always be nice but keep a healthy distance. Competitive families can be mean and down right malicous. For the last 5 years I have been the parent that speaks to everyone but sits by herself to avoid the back stabbing and rude comments that adults say about other peoples children and coaches. I promise you if you do when that crazy parent goes off your name will get thrown into the mess. I guess I would call that The Lesson Learned Mom. LOL

• October 18, 2016 at 1:20 am

Amen to that. I usually find a job that needs done in order to stay out of the fray.

• June 17, 2015 at 2:00 am

This is awesome! I played ball my whole life and saw all those, see them now as a mom and have become at least 3 of them! I’m hoping I can cut that down to just one on my road to coping with my own mom’s…..”only here to act better then my ex husband” type! Very lighthearted joke now but was rough to have that mom.

• June 17, 2015 at 1:17 am

Okay – this is awesome. How bad is it that I see myself in at least 3 of these?…

• June 17, 2015 at 1:22 am

Stephanie, not bad at all. I see a little of myself in all of them and I wrote the darn thing. I’m especially the ADD mom, much as I hate to admit it. Thanks for your comment!

• June 16, 2015 at 10:47 pm

I will admit when I first read this I thought it was ‘spot on’ and funny. I immediately placed a few specific people in each category. It wasn’t quite as entertaining once I thought about what category do I fall in? At this point I was convicted. This considersation reinforced what I already knew to be true… that I am a mom, just like every other mom, trying to figure this “mom” thing out!

I mean, let’s look at this thing in depth. Someone has clumped us into 10 basic categories right? I contemplated which category do I fall under?

Let’s see, I have a pretty expensive long lens camera that my husband purchased for me! I had full intent of capturing every moment of my kids fabulous lives! Instead, I leave home checking to make sure that I have the bare necessities: my two year old, her bag with diapers and wipes, my purse with debit and cash, and my cell phone so my other kids can text when they are ready to be picked up from whatever is going on in their lives at the time! I am genuinely thankful for “Mrs. Long Lens”.

I will admit that sometimes I can be a bit intimidated by those mom’s that seem to know the ‘in’s and the out’s’ of this sport that is so foreign to me. Afterall, I didn’t grow up in a home where sports were prioritized. How ironic…the least competitive woman in Orange County happened to marry the most competitive man in Orange and surrounding communities! My parents were loving and hard working and they taught me so many things… such as honesty, respect, hard work, perserverance and lots of other things… but sports didn’t top the list and that’s ok! I mean…I played kickball and basketball as a neighborhood kid and had a blast, but things are oh so different under rules and regulations!

Am I too quiet? Maybe, but, that is how God made me! I will never be the mom with the built in microphone because that is just not how I’m built! I am quiet but I’m fully aware of what is going on around me and I will let you know when I feel the need to be heard. Being quiet doesn’t mean I’m a snob, or I’m incompetent, or anything else that might be assumed. I choose to have self control and I am genuinely just a quiet person by nature.

I am admittedly a little ADD but thank God I was given a husband that I can count on to get the kids to sporting events on time and he will even coordinate with me every day to insure that all kids are checked and accounted for! He is very busy coaching and working and although I teach part time I try to make sure all kids are fed and clothed and ready for pick up! We are a team and every day is different and we do what we have to do to make sure everything runs smoothly!

If you are a mom that is able to be present at every game and practice then count yourself blessed! I feel a lot of guilt about missing ball games, chorus productions, community meetings, etc. but as God would have it, I happen to be human and not omnipresent! Like many moms I have more than one kid….I have four kids ranging from age 2 to age 18 and I promise I am where I can or need to be at all times. I love my kids, I support my kids, and they know where I stand in their life! Please consider this before you judge ‘that mom’ that is on her phone in the background! She is probably trying to schedule the overdue doctor’s appointment for her 18 year old heading to college or her 2 year old in need of shots and a physical.

The moral of the story is, I am not “Madame Control Freak”, I am not “Miss America”, I am not “Pinterest Mom”, I am not always there physically but ALWAYS in spirit! I could be “Mrs. Bag O’ Everything” but I will probably forget the bag or I’ve opted to leave it at home hoping another mom was able to get it together today…next time I’ll have your back! I’ll ignore being looked at like I have two heads when i ask, “What just happened?”, or “Are we winning?” I will keep my toddler safe on the bleacher, take her to the concession 10 times, look at her when she says’, “look mom!”, but I’m present when I can be and that’s the best I can do for now!

• June 17, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Tonya, I appreciate your comment, your honesty and your vulnerability. We can all relate to that. Please don’t read too much into this post. I wrote it in like 20 minutes on a whim…for fun. It’s okay to laugh. I AM the ADD mom. Ask any of my friends. I can own that and laugh about it.

• June 16, 2015 at 5:18 pm

My son plays football and baseball. I assure you these “moms” are abundant in every sport. I try to be the best “For my son” mom that I can be. I am his car-pooler, cheerleader, reality check, drink supplier, and everything else it comes to when being a sports mom. I always say that when I signed my son up for baseball i had no idea how my family would grow. I am amazed that over the last 7 years I have met people I will consider life long friends. Baseball families are forever:)

• June 16, 2015 at 5:19 pm

You’re so right, Becky. Some of the best friends you can find. Thanks for your comment.

• June 16, 2015 at 4:46 pm

The “it’s ok, son” mom – after he bails out of the box scared to be near a ball or fails to even chase a ball hit highs way. This kid usually is lowering the athletic I.Q of the team and draws a collective sigh from the others as his automatic out approaches the plate. “It’s ok, son.” Ha – clearly no effort is put in between games to improve his skills, but the mom feels she is part of this clique. SOMETIMES, IT’s not OK.
    The

“Fish on dry land” mom – never was an athlete, doesn’t know the game. Certainly pretends to though. Randomly brings up plays from last nights sports center highlights, or random stats and records she overheard from some other group.

“The Scout” always knows what field we are on, what team we are most likely to face in the finals, what hotel they are at and where they have decided to take their boys to dinner. She can often be seen chatting up an opposing parent, laughing it up and comes back with injury reports and what pitcher is out of innings. She is the one who also has gone before the team to a restaurant to arrange tables and chairs and most likely has the food warm and ready the minute the boys arrive. She has scouted the laundromat and she will definitely know the movie times. All younger siblings love her because “going with” her means not having to stand around and listen to adults talk. Her battery never runs out.

• June 16, 2015 at 5:15 pm

These are awesome, Brad. And so true. Sadly, I must admit that I’m the fish on dry land parent. Even been known to try to quote things from Sportcenter and screw up the quote.

• June 16, 2015 at 3:21 pm

What about the Uplifting mom? The one who goes to every game, every practice not only to cheer on her own son but to uplift and cheer on every kid on the team. Whether it be an error or a strike out, she’s there to tell the kids that it’s ok, have fun and they’ll get’em the next go around or praise them for a great hit, great play on the field, etc. Letting the pitcher know he/she’s got this, informing the catcher how great they are doing by keeping the ball in front of them, telling the infielders that the diving catch to stop the ball and throw into that double play was awesome, letting the outfielders know the catch they just made was incredible! Every team should or already does have this momma in the bleachers believing every child brings something to the team that makes them simply amazing. 😉

• June 16, 2015 at 3:24 pm

I love this mom!!!! You’re right. Every team needs one. Thanks for your comment.

• June 16, 2015 at 1:07 pm

How about the mom that has an affair with the coach to promote her son. Sons a pitcher, struggles to go through one inning, doesn’t get pulled until 8-10 runs come in, then the coach takes another kid off the field so he can still be in the game and puts him on first. When he errors at first it’s the right fielders fault.
    We have a new mom to our team, married 22 years and husband caught her having an affair with the coach.

• June 16, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Holy Crap! Are you serious? Just wow! That’s some serious wrong right there. People like that drive me crazy. Thanks for your comment.

• June 17, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Oh my gosh….I’m glad I haven’t run into THAT mom!!

• June 16, 2015 at 12:39 pm

The mom that is most irritating is the mom that makes her husband coach to make sure her “not so talented” son plays wherever he wants and plays most of the game. Even if it is to the detriment of the team.
    The mom that always blames another player, sun in the eyes, the ball took a bad hop, the ball wasn’t catchable, … each time her son earns an error. It is NEVER her son’s fault.

• June 16, 2015 at 12:35 pm

The additions to your list are endless lol!
    Don’t forget the RADIO DJ MOM! She brings the loud speakers, has all the kids walk up songs, and can even turn down the music right before the bad words come!

There is also BLING TSHIRT MOM- she has a bling Tshirt uniform for every game and if she has multiple kids, she changes them in the car to match the right child. She has baseball earrings, flip flops, bracelets, and necklaces with her son’s number. Everyone on the field gets blinded when the sun comes out because of how she shines so bright with her love of her child!

Almost everyone loves SUGAR MOMMA-as she knows that the mom with the unhealthiest snack wins! She brings the 2 dozen donuts to the early morning games, arranges the team lunches or ice cream trips. Everyone loves her except healthy mom!

So that leads to HEALTHY MOM- she is there to inform you how your child’s diet might kill him one day. You must find a healthy meal in between games just for them or hear about how MCDonalds might kill you one day. You learn about GMOs and pesticides, free range, and antibiotics in our food.

How about CUDDLE MOM- Her son doesn’t sit with the team during up at bats but always finds his way out of the dugout for money, drink, snack, or just pep talk/snuggle.

Did you have FASHION MOM- she always wears a full face of makeup, high heals, and jewelry (not BBall related) to the fields. This mom is always there to make you feel like you rolled out of bed without looking in a mirror. She reads fashion magazines during the game and shows you all the latest trends because let’s face it… You need help.

We can’t leave out THE DUGGER MOM- she has so many kids she is running back and forth from six games in a day. She is still smiling and laughing while being this busy. She makes you exhausted just listening to her daily list of activities. You often feel inadequate being near her because you can’t complain about your own hectic schedule because hers is so much worse.

EARLY BIRD- she is always at least a half hour early to everything! this mom is there to make you feel late even though you arrived on time or even “normal” early. If this mom gets lost and isn’t extra early, she may have a panic attack. This is the mom you ask to drive your kid if you can’t!

I think I could keep going for another hour so I will stop here. Thanks for the laugh your article was great!

• June 16, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Oh crap, Stacy! I am dying laughing at these! They’re so spot on and hilarious. Thanks so much for making my day.

• June 16, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Great additions Stay! Loved them! Good stuff.

• June 16, 2015 at 3:14 am

How about Zen Mom? I’m the one reminding the parents in the stands to relax, “they are just 6 (or 9 or 12) year olds”. I also like to remind the kids to breathe. Nothing helps on the pitchers mound like a deep relaxing breath, almost guaranteed to throw a strike after that. 🙂 I am also the coach’s wife and have no problem telling the coach when he needs to lighten up a bit. Sometimes everyone needs a little reminder that this is supposed to be fun.
    Love this post! Thanks for sharing!

• June 16, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I LOVE zen mom…and can very much relate to her. And I agree 100% about lightening up. Thanks, Kim, for your comment.

• June 16, 2015 at 2:09 am

Don’t forget the aunt who lived vicariously through nieces and nephews since her children didn’t make it past rec t-ball

• June 16, 2015 at 1:38 am

OMG!! This is an article I could’ve co wrote with you, lol! What about the mom that can’t get their player to fundraisers but still expects to reap the benefits? The “single mom” that’s using the ballfield to find a new daddy for her player? The mom that has something negative to say about every other team’s coach b/c her son has been on every other team…….but the problem just can’t possibly be her son- the one that has no respect for the coaches, has a bad attitude, throws his equipment around, looks down on all the other players, and swears he’s the best thing next to sliced bread? And might I add to the Coach’s wife- the one that actually HAS to put up with all if these people but then occasionally snaps on one of the above every now and then? Yep- been there, done that, lol!!!
    Oh wait!!!! I just remembered the best one!!!
    The I’m never there but know everything and complain on Facebook mom….. you know that one, the one that complains about the long season never ending, but then tries to complain that she can’t ever make a game b/c of her “long work days”……like no one else has those problems, oh- and how the coach is too hard on her son. Really?? That one is my favorite!! Lol, oh this therapy was way overdue…….thank you!!!!

• June 15, 2015 at 11:14 pm

The concession goddess, hiding from everyone, so much quieter in concession, none of the drama

• June 15, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Silent mom. She is there, but just sits by herself and watches.

• June 15, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Alternate description to Mrs. Never There. Gets her name bc she got a divorce two years ago and is desperately working two jobs to cover all the bills and extra-curriculars (like the games she never gets to see) because her louse of an ex doesn’t pay child support and the state doesn’t care to make him do so. Cries at night because she misses so many events. Wishes that on the rare occasion she gets to come see her child play ball, other mothers would speak and be nice to her instead of snarking behind her back and assuming they know what her life is like.

The article was funny to me except for that one. :/

• June 16, 2015 at 1:56 am

I totally agree with you! Although there are moms that choose not to be there because they are self-centered, many moms that can’t show up, because they do have to work, want nothing more than to see their child play. And I also agree, everyone judges but no one will try to make friends and only judge, don’t be that mom.

• June 16, 2015 at 2:49 am

I agree, I found it funny other than #7 … I never missed any practice or game for my son until my divorce. The last year I’ve had to do what I had to do, because I have another son who doesn’t enjoy spending his entire weekend at the ball field. I cried each time I missed my son’s home runs, especially his first three on the big big boy field. I spent 7 years of my life dedicated to every practice, every game every batting lesson. i think #7 is a little presumptuous that those they but not there mom’s are just self absorbed… truth is, they were many weekends that there was no place I would have rather been than at my son’s games.

• June 16, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Katie, Thanks for your comment, but please see my reply to Stacy above. There’s a HUGE difference between a mom who isn’t there because she’s working and one who chooses to miss her kids’ games because she’s got better, more fun things to do. You call #7 a little presumptuous, but aren’t you being presumptuous thinking that I assume every mom who is absent is just being self centered? My best friend is a single mom who works her butt off for her kids. And she misses stuff sometimes. No one judges her for that. In fact, we rally around her and support her as much as we can.

• June 16, 2015 at 12:05 pm

i don’t even know you but I can promise this one is NOT you! This post is in reference to a mom who CHOOSES to go to the gym, shopping, out to lunch with friends INSTEAD of watching her kid play. This is someone who knows she hates baseball/Mosquitos/sweating/yelling and the crazies around her. This type of mom laughs at this post and says “yep, that’s me lol”. You are NOT this mom! Everyone on your team if they knew your situations should embrace HARDWORKING MOM supporting dead beat dad… Make sure everyone knows your situation and they should make you feel good about yourself! If not, find a new team! You ROCK mom and don’t beat yourself up at night!

• June 16, 2015 at 1:17 pm

AMEN, STACEY!!!!!!! How could anyone really think I’d mistake a hardworking mom, trying to make ends meet with a diva who strolls into the ballpark fresh from a manicure or massage with her latest Central American cruise pics and run keeper details posted on Facebook? Seriously? My best friend is a single mom who works super hard to keep food on the table and she’s present and involved wayyyyy more than the self-centered “I hate baseball” moms. C’mon, give me a break.

• June 15, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Angela, thank you for this! You TOTALLY had me LOLing. I am so many of these moms rolled into one. Unfortunately you forgot one that I’m guilty of. The BOMB DROPPING MOM – I’m the girl that despite my best efforts drops a S&*T or a SON OF A B*^CH when things get a little stressful. I’m hoping to find a support group soon, but for now, this post will keep me in check. Loved it!

I also may be guilty of being the “Overyly Critical of her Own Son” – only to the other moms. My son thinks that I think he’s a rock star! Which he is – but I still cross my fingers and toes every time he bats or a ball is hit in his direction. *end therapy session* 🙂

• June 15, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Nikki, thank you so much! I’m the bomb dropping mom too. Gotta remember to add that to Volume 2. Thanks for your funny comment. Glad you enjoyed the piece.

• June 15, 2015 at 5:42 pm

What about the “I force my son to play” mom. You know the type, she’s hell bent and determined to mold her player into the next MLB superstar, but what he really wants to do is learn to play the piano. Every game, every practice you can hear her telling her player that if he would just stop chasing the butterflies and practicing dance moves in the outfield, he would learn to really love the game, and once that happens, there’s no stopping him. And when you look at the kids face, his eyes are glazed over and you can just see him practicing his dance moves step by step in his head, waiting to be the next YouTube hiphop breakout star.

• June 15, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Oh Chonna, that’s so sad..and true. Last year, when we were looking for a team after moving to VA, I kept running into this same mom at every tryout. Her kid couldn’t be any less interested. He just wanted to pick the dandelions in the outfield while she barked nonstop orders at him.

• June 15, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Those are great! Here’s a different perspective from a high school softball coach’s wife.

Travel Ball Mom
    She can’t understand why her kid doesn’t play every inning of every game. Her daughter plays all the time on her travel ball team that only carries 10 players on its roster. Never mind that the HS team has 22 players–her daughter should never sit the bench! And why does the HS coach sometimes play her at different positions? Just because he’s won 7 state championships and has been coaching for 38 years, he thinks he knows more than her volunteer summer coaches? Jeez.

Wow. Does this sound bitter? Good. 😉

• June 15, 2015 at 12:08 pm

The parents that talk about their son the entire tournament – my son is a much better player than most of these boys on our team, he needs to be playing at a higher level, the coaches are stupid – they don’t put my son in the right position – he can play certain positions better than the kids that are in the position, there are college recruiters already looking at my son. And it goes on an on!

• June 15, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Oh my gosh, I am laughing reading this. You just nailed so many of the parents we’ve played with. They can’t find a coach who will kiss their son’s behind appropriately because no one realizes just how talented he is. Thanks for your comment.

• June 15, 2015 at 12:50 am

The It’s ALL about my kid Mom. She doesn’t care whether the team wins or loses as long as her son goes three for three, starts a double play and throws someone out stealing. She is constantly looking for another team that will give her son more status in the world of travel baseball. The player has a little talent, but mom believes he is the next D1 phenom if only she can get him the right exposure. She says bless his heart about any player that is not up to her expectations.

• June 15, 2015 at 12:51 pm

LOL! Yep, you got it. I’ve actually gotten up and moved my chair before because I’d had enough of the verbal diarrhea about how great their kid was. They’re never satisfied with how the coaches treat their son because no one appreciates what a phenom he is “in her eyes.” Thanks for your comment!

• June 14, 2015 at 8:34 pm

I loved this article!!! I definitely laughed out loud.
    The Play Dumb Mom
    She keeps her own score book.. She films everyone of her own sons plays or hits,
    and she constantly whispers comments to her husband about other players and actually her own son…. But when you ask her what your own sons average is she says “I only keep a book for fun, I don’t know averages (but there are averages scribbled in the inside cover)”…. Or “I am only filming my son for him to see when he gets bored” (but when my son goes over their house for a sleepover they are analyzing all of the footage)…. And the. She will make sly comments like “this kid has a tough time hiring lefty pitchers”.(but comments “well my husband told me that”. Yea right!!!!

• June 15, 2015 at 12:53 pm

LOL!!!! I’ve got to read this one to my husband. Haven’t met a mom like this yet (thank goodness) but we know soooo many dads who fit that bill. I love your description. Sounds like you’ve suffered through this mom type enough. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

• June 14, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Too funny! Don’t forget about the mom that believes her son is MLB material at 10 and his teammates need to step it up. And the “when I played softball” mom…geez lady that was 30 years ago and this baseball!!!

• June 15, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Oh my gosh, so true!!!! And softball lady occasionally wears her old jerseys to the games, just to make sure other parents treat her as the veteran authority that she is. Thanks for your comment.

• June 14, 2015 at 5:01 pm

I am a softball mom instead of a baseball mom. Of course there are similarities in both the sports and the types of moms that you see and deal with at the field. Don’t forget about the Treasury Mom (or the “Treasured Mom”, as I like to refer to her–because I am she). The Treasury Mom is in charge of collecting tournament/practice fees, paying tournament fees, collecting money for various fundraising projects, and making sure the team account has enough money at any given time to play in tournaments, purchase items for the team, pay the team insurance, etc. She has to be one that is trusted by everyone on the team since she is the one handling the money.

• June 15, 2015 at 12:55 pm

What a great point, Haley! The Treasured Mom is definitely a good one to have. (no one’s ever asked me to do this job.) If it weren’t for her, the team wouldn’t be very functional. Thanks for taking time to comment.

• June 13, 2015 at 9:25 pm

You left out brown nose mom. I’m a wife of a high school softball coach and when our daughter played travel teams, my husband coached then too. I have more friends during softball seasons than I do in regular seasons, and I only have them for 4 years of their daughters high school years. After high school, I never see or hear from them but if they have a daughter playing, I guarantee, they will try to brown nose me to get to my husband. It’s a shame!!!

• June 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Oh NO! Seriously? Guess you’ve really gotten to see what parents’ motives are. Thinking back, when my husband coached a travel team a couple ears ago, the parents did treat me like I was more important than usual. I’ll definitely include brown nose mom in Volume 2. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

• June 13, 2015 at 8:52 pm

The psycho mom… Screaming all the time

• June 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Oh lord! Don’t get me started on psycho mom. She’s usually banned for life from at least one ballpark. Thanks for your comment.

• June 13, 2015 at 5:43 pm

The mom that has been there done that She sits back watches and laughes at all the other moms

• June 15, 2015 at 12:58 pm

lol Lana, I can so relate to this mom. After 10 years, I’m one of those “sit back and watch the others fuss and fret.” Thanks for your comment.

• June 13, 2015 at 3:25 pm

I remember those days as if they were yesterday! And you are so right on with your descriptions they made me lol the whole way through reading them. I miss those days much.
    Carolann recently posted…Save Money and Time While BakingMy Profile

• June 12, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Makes me wonder; are baseball moms a different breed than soccer moms? Or, just plain moms?

• June 13, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Exactly the same. May be all sports. Only for the co-ed sub “he”. I can see these types at soccer and football.

• June 15, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Yep, they’re definitely similar in every sport and spill over into other activities too. Thanks for your comment.

• June 15, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Good point, Sheryl. THey’re all pretty similar with just a few variations.

• June 12, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Oh Angela, I was there for 18 years and know every single one of those moms including the ones that your wise friend above mentioned (I think I partially resemble one of those Latrelle mentioned and I am totally NOT saying which one :)!)

Here is another: “Player Agent” Mom
    This is the mom who keeps score at the games, helps run the drafts, organizes the fundraising, is the go-to source for the rules (as dictated by Williamsport), represents the league at the District meetings (and actually knows what a District is), and is part of every board meeting, every steering committee, and every advisory board.

You know her don’t you???
    Ruth Curran recently posted…Cognitive Dissonance & the 50 Year Cub Fan With a Soundtrack by Katie DayMy Profile

• June 15, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Excellent point, Ruth. We’ve all known “Player Agent Mom” I’ll definitely include her in my next volume. Thanks for your comment, my friend.

• June 12, 2015 at 3:52 am

Can there be a “Sybil” baseball Mom? Many of the the personalities in one!!LOL!!
    I am the ADD and Jekyll/Hyde

• June 12, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Jennifer, I would be honored to be on the same team as my “Sybil” baseball mom friend. Actually, I think I have been on teams with a couple of Sybils before, but none as cool and fun as you.

• June 11, 2015 at 9:22 pm

The Coach Mom

The mom that actually could be the coach of the team if only she were male. She played, is athletic, and actually knows what 40 on a bunt means. If only those male coaches would acknowledge that some females actually know sports. You can tell her sons got her DNA and as much as the dads don’t want to admit it, she could coach the team way better than her.

The Coach’s Wife
    She knows just enough to be dangerous but this works to her disadvantage:). She’s the random one that yells out every once in a while “strike” when it’s clearly over the kids head. She also likes to make sure that people know her husband knows everything there is to know about baseball. When it comes down to it you sure are thankful that it’s her and not you.

• June 12, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Latrelle, you are right on!!! These are both excellent and so true! Thanks for getting my Volume II jump started with two good ones.