This morning, over my first cup of coffee, I learned that beloved baseball legend Yogi Berra had passed away. It came as a surprise because I was pretty sure that he’d died some years ago. Guess not.
Berra was a three-time MVP, 18-time all-star, Hall of Fame catcher for the Yankees with ten World Series titles under his belt. However, he might be just as famous for his unique, laugh-out-loud way with words.
As a mom who spends a ridiculous amount of time talking baseball with my boys, I haven’t told them enough about the greats. Those who helped baseball become America’s pastime. My boys have heard the name Yogi Berra plenty of times. But what do they really know about him. Can they quote any of his legendary quips?
Can your kids?
Take a few minutes this evening to tell your ball players about Yogi Berra. Share some of his most quotable phrases with them. I guarantee it’ll be time well spent taking baseball.
- When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
- A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.
- Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical.
- Always go to other people’s funerals. Otherwise, they won’t come to yours.
- You can observe a lot just by watching.
- You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you.
- The future ain’t what it used to be.
- How can you think and hit at the same time?
- I usually take a two hour nap from one to four.
- All pitchers are liars or cry babies.
- He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.
- Take it with a grin of salt.
- Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets.
- I’m not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.
- It was impossible to get a conversation going. Everybody was talking too much.
- Even Napoleon had his Watergate.
- It’s like deja vu all over again.
- Nobody goes to that restaurant nowadays. It’s too crowded.
- Congratulations! I knew the record would stand until it was broken.
- We made too many wrong mistakes.
- You better cut the pizza into four pieces. I’m not hungry enough to eat six.
- Slump? I ain’t in no slump. I just ain’t hittin.’
- Never answer an anonymous letter.
- You’ve gotta be very careful if you don’t know where you’re going because you might not get there.
- Pair up in threes.
- If the people don’t want to come out to the ballpark, nobody’s gonna stop them.
- Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel.
- I don’t know if they were men or women fans running across the field naked. They had bags over their heads.
- It ain’t the heat. It’s the humility.
- It ain’t over til it’s over.