“You’re Outta Here!” 16 Clever Comments That Got Coaches Tossed by the Umpire

It’s been an interesting week in Chesterfield rec league baseball. We got to see two coach ejections in the 9U age group (in different games). I guess it’s an entertaining diversion, as long as you’re not the one getting tossed. Sort of like a spontaneous halftime show with a touch of Jerry Springer thrown in.

One of the toss-ees,* our friend Coach Brad, lamented “that umpire ejected me and I never even gotten up off my bucket.”

As if that wasn’t bad enough, the umpire looked to be still in diapers… a recent preschool graduate, at best.

In thinking about all the people I’ve seen get thrown out of youth baseball games, I decided to ask a few umpire friends to share some of the more memorable comments that caused them to shake their ejection fist in the air. Here’s what I got.

1. “Hey Blue, Lens Crafters called and said your order’s ready!”

2. “Well aren’t we lucky to have Ray Charles behind the plate!”

3. “Dang, Blue! I’ve seen better eyes on a potato!”

4. “Blue, I found your cell phone! We know it’s yours because it’s got four missed calls on it.”

5. “Hey Blue, I thought only horses sleep standing up!”

6. “Hey Blue, let me know ahead of time when you’re going to call a strike so I won’t be surprised.”

7. “Strike Three! Yeah, I bet your wife says that to you all the time!”

8. UMPIRE to COACH: “Go somewhere where I can’t see you!”

COACH to UMPIRE: “How ’bout home plate!”

9. “If you had one more eye, you’d be a cyclops!”

10. “You’re missing a great game, Blue!”

RESPONSE: “Yeah, I know, but I got assigned this one.”

11. “Blue, it’s a strike zone, not an end zone!!!”

12. “Blue, isn’t your wife going to be pissed when she finds out that you’ve been here screwing us all night?”

13. “You need to go to Walmart and buy a new strike zone!”

14. (beginning of game) “So, Blue, what are you calling strikes today?”

11130149_10206527188528713_3342627617575791725_n
Photo Courtesy Janet Dickson

15. “Don’t bother sweeping off the corners. You’re not calling them anyway.”

16.  “I’ve had better calls from my ex-wife!”

Good stuff!!! Do you have a funny umpire story to share, tell us in the comments.

Angela Weight

Angela Weight

Founder, Admin, Editor - TravelBallParents.com

Great! Now Jack is late for practice.
Angela Weight

Angela Weight

Founder, Admin, Editor - TravelBallParents.com Angela is also a freelance writer known to tackle the tougher topics…like why do cat food makers shape the morsels like fish or chicken? Do cats really care? Exactly how many of something is “more than you can shake a stick at?” And then there’s her ongoing paranoia that her house smells like animals and she's gone nose blind. WordPress says that I’m supposed to tell you a few things about myself so that you’ll want to read more of my posts. Here goes. My name is Angela Weight. I live in Midlothian, VA with my husband James, two sons, Andrew and Jack, dogs Katie and Ayla and cat, Callie. We’re new to the area…transplants from the Dublin, GA area, where I grew up. My husband has a job that pays the bills so I can sit around and obsess about cat food shapes and how my house smells. I also have this goal of seeing all 50 states by the time I’m 50. I’m 43 now and have been to 45 of them. If you have any friends or family in Vermont, Rhode Island, Oklahoma, North Dakota or Alaska who’d like us to come visit (and maybe pay for it) let me know. My sons (ages 16 and 11) play a ridiculous amount of baseball. If I’m not at home or out buying scented wax warmer cubes, I’m probably at a baseball field somewhere in Suburbia. In fact, I have to leave now to take Jack to practice. I’ll write more later. Oh, another thing you need to know. We’re SF Giants fans. Crazy, fanatical Giants fans. I grew up a Braves fan, but converted when I married James who grew up in the Bay Area. That’s important. Great! Now Jack is late for practice.

55 thoughts on ““You’re Outta Here!” 16 Clever Comments That Got Coaches Tossed by the Umpire

• February 24, 2017 at 2:27 am

Coach comes out to complain on a call at the plate, says I missed it big! I let him have his say, tell him thanks as I start towards his dugout he walks with me so I turn back to sweep off the plate! He comes back and starts up again! First I told him that’s enough he had gotten his one bite at the Apple. Well he won’t shut up, so I hold up my hand and I say “Coach not 1 more word or you are out of here!” No lie he says and I quote again “you’re right Larry I apologize! So I say “that’s five you’re DONE” an did the eject signal! I was asked later why I ejected I told them he would of gone to the dugout bragging I said one more word an I got away with FIVE

• February 24, 2017 at 2:23 am

Hey blue, kick your dog!

• February 24, 2017 at 1:46 am

I was toss from a game. The Umpire said one more word then your gone coach. I reply back WORD….

• February 23, 2017 at 1:09 pm

I was coaching a girls softball game (13-15) and the umpire called a third strike (third out) against my best hitter that bounced six inches in front of the plate. She was also my pitcher that game. In between innings, he walks over and apologizes because he thought he might have blown the last call. As my pitcher is now warming up I said “don’t apologize to me, I am not the emotional teenager who has really bad cramps and can throw 58mph with pin point accuracy. She is right there on the mound. Have a good inning blue”

• February 22, 2017 at 8:08 pm

We had two umpires who, between early AM Saturday games, disappears for 40 minutes and cause the whole tourney to run behind.
    They proceed to stroll in casually, and nonchalantly act as if they don’t care- which instantly gets me fuming.
    I let the plate ump know I’m displeased, which sets the tone (I’m giving him an excuse here) for an honestly horrendous game by him. This is 13u AAA/Majors travel, and he is calling a foot out and in, ankles to chin. No joke. Both teams were appalled. I kept shaking my head, and he strolls over and says “One more word, and you’re gone”.
    I looked him dead in the eye… no profanity, no insults, and simply said “WORD”.
    Tossed.

• December 17, 2016 at 8:17 pm

I was pitching once in Louisville’s Derby City league, when there was a play at the plate and my catcher tagged the runner before the runner even got to the plate. The runner slid and ended up never even touching the plate. The umpire yelled, “SAFE!”, so the runner tried to go back to touch the plate, so my catcher tagged the runner again before he was able to touch the plate. The umpire called him “SAFE” again, to which my catcher replied, “You blind MFer!” The umpire then asked, “WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME!” To which my catcher now nose to nose to the umpire replied, “I called you a blind MFer, you deaf MFer!” Well, that got my catcher tossed and my 82 year old League President and Manager out of the dugout and standing directly on home plate as he gave the umpire a piece of his mind. He wasn’t out there long but he dropped the f-bomb as much as Joe Pesci in “Good Fellas”, and then the umpire ejected him! This 82 year old league president then said, “You can’t kick me out! You wanna know why?” To which the umpire actually asked, “why”? The old man (while still standing on home plate) said, ” Because you can’t kick out what you can’t see, and you haven’t saw anything above here all day!” He did leave the field, but he black balled that umpire, and he never called a game at Derby City again!

• January 17, 2016 at 6:43 am

Legion ball:
    3rd base coach
    Hey Blue, digging into his back pocket and pulling out a quarter. I know you want be the best ump possible. Use this, (flipping the quarter onto home plate) you will get more calls right.
    Ejected, but gotta good laugh from the fans.

• December 31, 2015 at 2:33 am

“I’ve seen better Blue in a Toilet!”…it came from a fan behind home plate, so I couldn’t eject them…but I did laugh on the inside.

• December 18, 2015 at 5:05 am

Batter watches the first two pitches go by, belt high and down the middle. Next pitch is 3″ off the outside edge just above the knees. I rung him up!
    Batter turns to me: “You just took the bat outta my hands!”
    Me: “Not a problem. You weren’t using it anyway.”

• December 18, 2015 at 4:49 am

Coach: “Come on, Blue. The batter was out of the box. You get paid to see that!”
    Me: I tell catcher to go talk to the pitcher. Then I tell batter no need to swing at any more pitches. Next pitch is belt high, down the middle. “Ball.”
    Coach: “Where the hell did this miss?”
    Me: “I have no idea coach. I get paid to watch his feet and they were in the box. Do you want me to keep watching his feet?”
    Coach: “No. We’re good!”

• December 17, 2015 at 3:22 am

Partner and I working a high school double hitter. First game I was behind the plate and ejected a player for taking out the catcher.

We allowed the player to return in the second game. Mid way through second game the same player was on first base. Batter had a nice hit and runner scores from first. After he slid into home he popped up and made an obscene jester at the catcher. Obviously the umpire did not see it. From behind second base I started yelling “24 you are out of here”. At the same time I was running towards the dug out. Just as I was yelling “out” I passed over the foul line where the grass stops and dirt begins, I tripped sliding head first towards the dug out. Hat, glasses, seeds & counter spread all over the ground. I got up and finished kicking player out of the game very unprofessionaly. I turned around and a Coach handed me my gear. Nobody spoke to me the rest of the game. After game my partner asked me “what the hell happened out there”?

• December 16, 2015 at 5:19 am

Had a coach making little comments all game. All of a sudden he yells. “You two need a snickers bar” to me and other umpire when a call didn’t go his way. I turned and looked at him trying not to laugh and said. Marsha Marsha Marsha your gone. Funniest ejection I ever had.

• March 30, 2016 at 6:13 pm

inappropriate ejection.

• December 16, 2015 at 4:05 am

Assistant coach that I’ve known for years walks behind the fence at home and between batters says “Bob, is that the same dog you had last year or did you get a new one.” We both had a good laugh.

• December 16, 2015 at 2:37 am

Wow coach either youre really baseball stupid or you think i am!

• December 15, 2015 at 10:46 pm

In between innings a coach comes out to my partner and I. He says what are the six things an umpire will call during a game. Fair or Foul, Ball or Strike, Safe and whats the last one? My response was have a good night coach.

• December 15, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Intangible umpire but can appreciate good stuff when I SEE it. No pun intended!

• December 15, 2015 at 7:00 pm

I was umpiring a teenage level game (13-15). In the first inning, the coach of the better team (who I always seem to have beefs with) started running his mouth before the game had hardly gotten underway. I ignored him once. A few minutes later, he started again. Well, I sent him packing. On this particular field, ejected coaches go to the parking lot, near the park entrance. A little while later, my son arrived for his game (he was still in Little League). He saw this coach standing out by the gate, watching the game. He said, “Dad told you to coach your kids and leave him alone, didn’t he?” The coach said that he knew he was going to get run the minute I looked up the second time. The funny thing was, this coach drafted my son the next year to be on his team. I guess that would keep him in the dugout. It didn’t. Act a fool, you gotta go.

• October 26, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Coach comes to me after his player missed tag and says “you’re full of horses&#$”. I say “you’re watching this this game from the street”

• August 26, 2015 at 2:23 am

My favorite has always been our coach walking off field stops turns to ump and says “it’s a shame we pay all this money for a tournament and your all they can afford” the ump just looked at him and didn’t know what to say

• July 31, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Hey blue how far was that off the plate ?
    Blue ( holding his finger apart ) about 1.5 inches

Coach : well how many seams was in the ball when it crossed the plate !

• July 23, 2015 at 4:06 pm

My personal favourite actually didn’t result in an ejection as the coach was laughing as hard as the rest of us and said it with a big smile.
    It was a tournament final game, we were doing a 3 man, I was dish on a warm Sunday about 5:30 pm. Mid game, bottom of 4 with visitors down by 2 runs the visiting pitcher is trying hard to widen the zone, stretch it as far as she can. Ball called, she looks at her coach, looks at me, looks back at her coach. This is a Sr gals game, the coach with a big smile and looking at his Pitcher says ” It’s Sunday girl, the Lord givith and the umpire taketh away”. I had to call time as the batter, catcher and I were all laughing, even the pitcher had to smile [which I think was his intent].
    I wandered over to the coach at that point with a smile from ear to ear and asked him to keep a eye out for my cell phone telling him he couldn’t miss it as it had 3 missed calls on it. Now everyone is laughing. “)
    2 great teams finishing a fine tourney with a great game and a few good laughs. I love being in the ball park.

• July 22, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Coach “can you throw me for thinking?”
    Me “no”
    Coach “well I think you stink!”
    I throw him and he says “you just said you can’t throw me for thinking!”
    Me “I’m throwing for being stupid enough to think out loud”

• July 22, 2015 at 4:07 pm

1.Hey Blue, you’re supposed to look between the bars.
    2.Poke some holes in that mask.
    3.After granting time I heard, “That’s the best call he made all day!”

• July 22, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Veteran High School coach comes to me in between an inning and says:”Hey Lou, you are the 2nd best umpire that works in this League.” Almost invariably, my response is…..”Well who is the 1st best?” He replies, “Everybody else is tied for 1st!” We had a good chuckle.

• July 21, 2015 at 1:03 am

High School coach on the road, complaining about strikes and balls but the umpire was ignoring me. Until I yelled “you have no honor”, amazing how quick he ripped off his mask. He told me to control my assistants, I informed him it was me, he informed me where the parking lot was.

• July 6, 2015 at 3:05 am

Hey blue, pull up your pants, you’ve already blown the game!

• July 5, 2015 at 7:40 am

i am an umpire and call a lot of competitive 14U to 18U baseball. The following occurred:
    Coach: Hey Blue, you missed that call!
    Umpire: I called it as I saw it Coach.
    Coach: In my opinion, you were wrong!
    Umpire: Coacj, opinions are like butt holes, we all have one and they all stank. Play Ball!

• July 5, 2015 at 3:43 am

“Hey Blue, kick your seeing eye dog, he’s lying to you!”

• July 22, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Coach: You look like the type of guy that would kick your dog and kid and wife.

• July 4, 2015 at 9:17 pm

I was calling a college game and I had a tag up on a fly ball at third base. I called the runner out for leaving to early. Needless the coach was not happy anyway I let him have his say and had turned away to go back to my position and comes the coach again I toss him and asked why I told him this wasn’t a all you eat buffet. He laughs and leaves

• July 4, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Umpire: One more word out of you and you’re out of here.
    Coach: WOOOOOORD!!!!

• July 4, 2015 at 2:58 am

Hey blue, can you eject me for what I’m thinking? No? Good, because I think you suck.

• July 4, 2015 at 12:03 am

Umpire to coach: “sir I’m giving you a warning ”
    Coach to umpire: ” no I’m giving you a warning “

• July 3, 2015 at 7:48 pm

I was umpiring a game between Fort Hays State University in Hays Kansas at Lark’s Park against Baker University. It was a region 6 qualifying game. About four innings and someone yelled before the beginning of an inning; “hey blue you must have a glass stomach.” Then someone else in an different area of the park responded; “so you can see with your head up your ass.” the batter called time the catcher and I both cracked up coach came out of the third base dugout and ask what’s going on, he didn’t hear it

• July 3, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Hey blue!! Get off your knees, you’re blowing the game!

• July 3, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Me: Hey ump I have a rule book in my car.
    Ump: Why don’t you go get it and stay there.

• July 3, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Umpire: “One more word, coach and you’re outta here!”
    Coach: “Oh come on, Blue. Don’t make your first good call all game be ejecting me.”

• July 3, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Coach: Hey Ump, can you get thrown out for thinking?
    Ump: No, you can’t.
    Coach: Good because I think you stink!

• July 3, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Blue: ” it’s my judgment call”
    Coach: ” Well your judgment sucks”

• July 3, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Hey Blue, there is a church down the road. You need to go get right with the Lord.

• July 3, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Had my high school coach ask an umpire “Hey Blue, where’d that ball miss? Down? THE MIDDLE?”

• July 3, 2015 at 12:21 pm

true story, as I am an umpire.
    Coach: I am not out here to argue blue but wanted to let you know my brother in law is an optometrist and I can get you an appointment if you need one.

• July 3, 2015 at 2:52 am

Fan: Hey blue are you a umpire?
    My response not but I did stay at Holiday Express last night

• July 3, 2015 at 2:45 am

“Hey Blue – Can you toss me for thinking?”
    “No”
    “Well I think you’re a *%#@!”

• July 2, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Hay blue get off your knees your blowing the game.

• July 2, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Hey Blue, why don’t u bend over and call it with ur good eye!

• July 2, 2015 at 4:53 pm

After questioning a call I was tossed –
    Umpire : “you’re out of here and you need to leave town!”
    Me: “You can’t throw me out of the town!!!”
    Umpire : raises his shirt and displays a deputy sheriff’s badge
    Me to our bench: “I’ll meet you at the city limits….”

• July 2, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Former AAA skipper was coaching a very good 18U travel team. He goes out to question a call that the umpire clearly screwed up and proceeds to get tossed for being less that diplomatic. The umpire informs him that he has 3 minutes to leave the field or his team will forfeit the game. He informs the umpire that is great because he is going to chew his ass for being stupid for the next 3 minutes.

• July 1, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Blue: One more comment sir and I will ask you to leave.
    Me: One more call like that and I will leave on my own!